Question
Posted by: Sanet | 2004/12/07

Jack Russell Seperation Anxiety

Please help! I have the cutest JR puppies, 6 and 10 months but they drive me crazy. Whenever I have a visitor that stays over they drag their belongings into the garden and destroy it. They took a pair of new shoes out of the bag, the box and the wrapping and at them up while we were out! They have never done it to me! The bigger one does not listen when I call her to come into the house and runs away when I open the gate- although I trained her from 6 weeks to walk with me to the car and back. I would like for them to be more discipined. I do not mind the digging because it is part of their personalities and I know that they are naughty- but they are becoming destructive whenever I change my routine or when I have visitors.

Please help!

Hi Sanet
I really think you need to get an animal behaviourist in to help with all the problems (www.animal-behaviour.org.za). Puppies need to go to puppy socialising school from about 9 weeks old to learn manners and so you can learn how to understand and train them. If there are none in your area then you need to do some reading about each problem. Try some of the links on my petlink page (www.animal-behaviour.org.za/karengray). Are you doing the basics?: Daily walks outside your property; Lots of chewy toys and "smart toys" which you rotate every day; Access inside and a view out of your property; Daily interaction with you such as brushing or controlled playing with toys. However too much interaction can also be bad and they should be used to doing their own thing some of the time, even if you are home.
It seems the pups are possessive of your attention and when a visitor comes they demand more attention. This means they are over-attached to you and you need to make an effort to distance yourself from them sometimes, as well as creating opportunities for them to meet other people and dogs regularly.
Running away may be a sign that she needs walks, but may also be a way to manipulate you. You need to find ways to manipulate her instead. Food is a great device for training, so use it to train them to come to you.
Most of all remember to ignore all unacceptable behaviour (or distract them with a noise, treat or toy) and reward them for good behaviour (using praise, touch, treats, toys etc.).
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/12/07

I think the solution is going to be that you need to scale back the amount of attention they get when they're alone with you. It is hard to do.

Reply to Acineth