Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2004/02/04

Jack Russell pup messing in room at night

Dear CyberVet,

I have an eight month old Jack Russell. She is toilet trained. During the day she is alone at home (we are getting her a friend in April) and she goes outside to do her business. We always leave a window open for her to go outside. But at night, she seems to think that as long as we are asleep, she can do her business in our room! I take her out just before we go to sleep and again first thing in the morning. But if she wants to poo during the night, she doesn't go outside. How can I teach her to go outside during the night?

Kind regards,

Sarah

Hi Sarah
Your puppy is probably afraid of the dark! Try putting a light on outside. If this doesn't work then you may have to have a toilet inside for night times, at least for a couple of months. Make a toilet with a shallow box lined with plastic and containing a piece of instant lawn or just soil (whatever surface she is going on outside). Once she is using it you can move it gradually towards the open window and then after eventually outside. Keep it outside during the day and clean it every morning. You can also try feeding her her last meal a bit earlier and taking away all food and water at night. This way she may not need to poo at night.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST