Posted by: Eben | 2008/10/27

Jack Russell And Thunder

Hi, I am sure this question has been asked a 100 times ,My Jack Russell goes mad when it rains and when there is thunder I have Tried DAP and some tab from the Vet, but it doesn’ t help at all, is their anything someone can suggest ?

Dear Eben

Read reply to Frighten Dogs

Posted by: lp | 2008/10/31

you can try giving rescue remedy or nurturline calm dog as well....
also, try recording sounds of thunder and gently getting your dog used to it that way...

Reply to lp
Posted by: WR | 2008/10/27

Just ignoring the behaviour should also work wonders.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Eben | 2008/10/27

Thanx ,I will give it a try ,not so sure if I would be up for it at 3 in the morning though.

Reply to Eben
Posted by: Mandi | 2008/10/27

My dog had the same problem with my JR and I recently found something that works:

She goes absolutely crazy for those laser pointer things. A lot of people have said that it’ s not good to use them to play with your dog, but one day out of desperation I used it to try and distract her from the thunder. She immediately rushed out from behind the couch and started chasing the laser. I only use it when there is thunder, so she now associates the laser-play with thunder.

Before this idea we used to know that thunder is coming before we could hear it, simply because she started shaking and cowering behind us. Now we know that thunder is coming by the way she starts ' hunting'  for the laser.

So maybe you could try something like that: being a JR your dog might also find the hunting instinct overpowering and foget about the scary noises.

Reply to Mandi