Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2006/11/09

jack russel

I have an alsatian cross golden retriever (male) and a jack russel (female) my jack russel is on heat at the moment and they both get on really well, but I have 3 days ago acquired a new jack russel also a female my other jack likes the new pup but now is just not my baby anymore she wont sleep with me she only sleeps next to my husband she plays a little with the new pup but not much. BUT my big dog constantly barks at the puppy and his teeth start to chatter when I bring the new pup close to him I am trying to introduce her slowly to him but think that I am failing hopelessly, how do I get my big dog to like the pup? Also I have heard that Parvo is doing the rounds but my dogs are never in physical contact with any other dogs besides themselves are they still at risk?

The chattering of the teeth is reminiscent of behaviour shown by males when there is a bitch in season close by. Sinc eyour other female is in season it could be her scent that is causing this. Just persevere carefully with the introductions. The other female's behaviour is that of a dog feeling neglected. Does the puppy sleep with you now?

Parvo virus is very "resistant"a nd you can carry it home on your shoes. It is best to have them vaccinated because if they get the disease t can be fatal.

4
Posted by: Maggie | 2006/11/10

Yes the new pup does sleep with me because she constantly cries and drives us insane, this way she sleeps the whole night through, but my other jack also has always slept on the bed. What must I do now?

Reply to Maggie
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/09

Exactly!

We seem to have a lot of people on lately who want to 'make' their dogs/cats like each other, not fight, be buddies, etc. You can't 'make' them do stuff like that - it either happens or it doesn't, it may take time, and ultimately the less you interfere, the better.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2006/11/09

Hi There!

You bringing the puppy closer to the other dog, and by this way try to force interaction, will probably make the problem worse. Like Acineth said, let them be! As long as the pup is safe etc. only let them together under your supervision. Don't talk to either, and just let them be. They will sniff and be all inquisitive about each other. Let them walk the walk and get it over and done with.

Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/09

Firstly, leave the dogs alone, they will get used to each other in their own time.

Secondly, parvo is spread very easily, so unless they are vaccinated they still at risk. You may unknowingly come into contact with the virus and take it home.

Reply to Acineth