Question
Posted by: sue | 2007/04/22

IVP

I have to have an IVP due to left flank pain, abdominal pain, recurrent bladder infection. I realise this is to investigate the urinary tract. Would it also show up diverticulitis? Not that i think I have it (I had a routine colonoscopy 3 years ago and there was no diverticulosis at all) but I know if a pouch perforates it can cause bladder infection. Will the IVP definitely diagnose the cause of my pain and infection or does more need to be done?

Dear Sue
What happens with an IVP is that they inject a radio-opaque liquid into your veins, that is excreted by the kidneys - so over a period of an hour or two you see an exact picture of what is happening in the kidneys and how well the kidneys are working to flush this out. It won't show anything outside the kidney system. See http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=ivp&bhcp=1
If the IVP is clear, the doctor may want to do an internal examination with a thin tube like camera under anesthetic ( cystoscopy)