Posted by: Pamela | 2004/11/03


Hi Doc, i'm a lady of 29 years, yesterday i went to my GP. coz i'm delaying to conceive, i asked what my problem can be,
he told me about IVP.
What is ivp, who does it and how is it done, he also referred me to a GYNAE, but said it's my choice, please explain to me what is IVP

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

I think you mean IVF or in vitro fertilisation. Eggs are removed from you at the time of ovulation ( it may be necessary to give you drugs to ovulate), mixed with a sperm specimen form your partner and then put back either into your womb or tubes.. It is done by a fertility expert.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Pamela | 2004/11/04

Thanx so much yes i meant IVF, are you a doctor or a nurse, you seem to know most of these,

thank you!!!!!!!

Reply to Pamela
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/04

Don't you mean IVF? Or In vitro fertilisation. It is used for women unable to conceive for any number of reasons, but is usually the last resort before adoption or surrogacy.

I would strongly advise you to speak to a fertility expert if you have been trying to get pregnant for more than a year. A regular gynae do not specialise in infertility and they would be unable to use assisted reproductive techniques (ART).

I went to a regular gynae and he did a very preliminary scan and told me to come back after 6 more months if I did not get pregnant. I went to a fertility specialist and within 3 months I was diagnosed and treated for my problem. I still have not conceived after more than 2.5 years and am planning to go for IVF in early 2005.

The fertility specialist will first order a conmprehensive hormonal test for you (combined with menstrual history and a semen test for your husband. If all that is OK, they will do a post-coital (after sex) test to see what happens to the sperm inside you. Depending on your problem (non-ovulation, hostile cervical environment, sperm disorder, ovarian cysts, endometrioses, poly cystic ovaries, etc.) he/she will be able to advise on a course of action.

If you need a reference to a good fertility specialist, post your question with your area or city on this site. Someone is bound to respond with a reference. Good luck.

Reply to Golly

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.