Question
Posted by: Pamela | 2004/11/03

IVP

Hi Doc, i'm a lady of 29 years, yesterday i went to my GP. coz i'm delaying to conceive, i asked what my problem can be,
he told me about IVP.
What is ivp, who does it and how is it done, he also referred me to a GYNAE, but said it's my choice, please explain to me what is IVP

I think you mean IVF or in vitro fertilisation. Eggs are removed from you at the time of ovulation ( it may be necessary to give you drugs to ovulate), mixed with a sperm specimen form your partner and then put back either into your womb or tubes.. It is done by a fertility expert.

2
Posted by: Pamela | 2004/11/04

Thanx so much yes i meant IVF, are you a doctor or a nurse, you seem to know most of these,

thank you!!!!!!!

Reply to Pamela
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/04

Pamela,
Don't you mean IVF? Or In vitro fertilisation. It is used for women unable to conceive for any number of reasons, but is usually the last resort before adoption or surrogacy.

I would strongly advise you to speak to a fertility expert if you have been trying to get pregnant for more than a year. A regular gynae do not specialise in infertility and they would be unable to use assisted reproductive techniques (ART).

I went to a regular gynae and he did a very preliminary scan and told me to come back after 6 more months if I did not get pregnant. I went to a fertility specialist and within 3 months I was diagnosed and treated for my problem. I still have not conceived after more than 2.5 years and am planning to go for IVF in early 2005.

The fertility specialist will first order a conmprehensive hormonal test for you (combined with menstrual history and a semen test for your husband. If all that is OK, they will do a post-coital (after sex) test to see what happens to the sperm inside you. Depending on your problem (non-ovulation, hostile cervical environment, sperm disorder, ovarian cysts, endometrioses, poly cystic ovaries, etc.) he/she will be able to advise on a course of action.

If you need a reference to a good fertility specialist, post your question with your area or city on this site. Someone is bound to respond with a reference. Good luck.

Reply to Golly