Question
Posted by: landi | 2004/10/28

ivf - treatment

I have to go for a 3rd day of my period blood test on Saturday - but I am only going to see the fertility doc for the 1st time on monday -(he wanted test results before consultation) can anyone tell me where in you cycle do you start on the ivf fertility treatment? does is happen according to your period? I realy don't want to wait another month for my period to start!

Golly is right.

3
Posted by: Golly | 2004/10/29

Landi,

It sounds as if you are not taking any injections to increase ovulation? Your doc should explain the whole precedure and time frame to you before deciding when to do the IVF. The whole procedure requires some planning as they aspirate the egg(s) just before ovulation (mostly day 13 or 14 of a normal 28 day cycle). Then they fertilise the egg and sperm in the lab and normally let the embrio develop for 3-5 days. After implantation, you may be booked off for a day up to 5 days to increase your chances of implantation. All this requires that you and hubby are available on short notice to do the procedure as well as be able to take leave or sick leave.

Best is to clear up the confusion and ask for a "program" of when what will happen. That way you will feel more in control, less stressed and be able to plan. Good luck!

Reply to Golly
Posted by: landi | 2004/10/29

I had my tubes tied 4 years ago - that's why I am having ivf.

Reply to landi
Posted by: Justine | 2004/10/28

Hi landi

I can not really tell you when you will start. But the Dr will tell you more when you see him. It all just depends on what meds he will be putting you on and what the causes are for you to do IVF. Before I started my injections for IVF I had a period every month and on time. But before doing IVF I was on two months Lucrin to slow the endrometriosis down before doing IVF and that stopped my period that I didnt have one so they gave me meds to start it again and then the Dr planned it from there. So I guess the Dr just wanted to see what your hormone levels were and where you are in your cycle.

I know you just want to start and get it all done but be patient as this could take a few weeks. From the first scan until the transfers it took us 3+ weeks.
I hope all goes well for you.

take care and all of the best.
J

Reply to Justine