Question
Posted by: snoop | 2004/11/05

ivf transfer

what will give you the best chance for an ivf pregnancy - transfering the embrio after 3 days or wait untill about 5 days until more advanced (not sure what's the word) -
I also see that a lot of clinics book you for a 2nd day cycle appoint ment - My ivf treatment will start on the 3rd day of my period - will it make a big difference - I realy want this to work the first time.

Each clinic has it's own techniques which are slightly different. This will dictate when cycles are started and when transfers are done. I would suggest that you discuss this with your doctor.

2
Posted by: Sun | 2004/11/06

Hi Snoop

We have an IVF "chat group" on IVFConnectionsdotcom under the subsection "IVF in South Africa" you are welcome to join us if you want to get more info from our experiences or just to chat.

Cheers
Sun

Reply to Sun
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/05

Snoop,

Apparently the egg, once fertilised, forms a hard outer capsule. After 5 days of cell division, the embrio then 'bursts' from this casule and is known as a blastocyst. From what I understand, this hard outer shell does not implant as well as the blastocyst (at 5 days) and doctors have found that implanting the 5 day embrio yields higher pregnancy rates. The downside to this is that not all embrio's live until the 5 day stage in the dish. However, the once they implant will be the most viable and healthy.

My doc suggested starting some meds on day 2 after menstruation and a different injection on day 3. Maybe it depends on the type of medication and the amount of stimulation you require?

Good luck with your IVF. It seems quite a fes people are going that route soon or early next year.

Reply to Golly