Question
Posted by: Julienne | 2007/06/10

IVF Preparation

I am thinking of going for an IVF after TTC for more than three years and would appreciate if you could provide me with some useful info to ease the preparation and leading to successful outcome.

How should I prepare myself physically, emotionally and psychologically and in terms of diet prior to the IVF?
Many thanks for your assistance in advance.

Dear Julienne

BEFORE treatment begins:

Before starting treatment, couples should try to do the following:
· Make sure that finances are in order.
· Shop around for the best treatment prices and treatment success rates·(Contact different clinics)
Build relationships with health care providers (for example, try to speak to the same nurse as often as
possible).
· Arrange for flexible work hours.
· Determine the busiest time of day at the fertility center and ask to schedule appointments or phone
calls at another time.
· Establish a support system.
· Talk to others who have gone through similar treatments.
· Identify stress-relieving techniques that work (for example, walking, relaxation techniques, joining a
support group, or seeing an infertility counselor).
· Recruit a back-up person to administer injections.

WHEN treatment begins

When treatment begins, patients should try to do the following:
· Utilize the stress relieving techniques you have previously identified.
· Drink at least six to eight glasses of water every day.
· Eat three nutritious meals a day (discuss special dietary concerns with a nurse or doctor).
· Keep your partner involved throughout the treatment by having him/her mix medications, give
injections, and/or go to appointments.
· Curb smoking and alcohol consumption (better yet, stop altogether).
· Take a folic acid supplement and prenatal vitamins.

RELAX!

Good Luck.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/11

There is a really good book by Zita West that has all this info in it. Its more alternative therapies that can help you in the lead up to IVF. i found it very interesting, u can order it off kalahari.

Reply to Dee