Question
Posted by: Charm | 2007/12/03

IVF - GIFT

Good Day Doc,

Please can you help me I need to know according to you what is the better option IVF or GIFT I will be using Donor Sperm.
Your advice will be appreciated.

Dear Charm

It is important to understand that in order for GIFT to be an option, than at least one fallopian tube needs to be absolutely normal and not simply patent. If that is the case then the option of intrauterine insemination with donor sperm may be far more cost effective. In this situation the sperm is deposited via a fine catheter into the uterus and would be able to traverse the fallopian tubes and without any problem will theoretically be able to fertilize the eggs without any difficulty from below.
This is far cheaper then going to theatre and having a laparoscopy done and to have the sperm put in from above. Also the option of IVF is expensive and not indicated if the fallopian tubes are in fact patent unless there are other problems that need to be dealt with. In general, the results with IVF are superior to GIFT and should the decision to do one with or the other already been made then IVF would certainly be a better option. The only circumstance under which I have found GIFT to be more beneficial than IVF is where I anticipate or have previously encountered difficulty in trans- vaginal transfer.