Posted by: Topsy | 2008/07/04

IVF : Embryo failure

Hi, I would like to know what may cause the failure of embryo to fuse with semen at the lab.We were busy with IVF, the embryo's (eggs) were taken and fused with the semen after semen analysis was done and I have taken all the IVF medication at a highest dosage but to our suprise the embryo failed to be feritlised .Please advise what could be the cause and how to minimize this problem in future.

Dear Topsy
Fertilization failure in the laboratory may be due to several factors including poor egg quality, poor sperm motility, sperm binding and zona pellucida problems (thickened wall of the egg), and also laboratory related problems such as culture medium defects, and incubator related problems. I would suggest that you discuss this in great detail with the fertility clinic so as to obtain a better idea of were the problem/s lie.

Posted by: Dee | 2008/07/07

What medication did you take? Did you do ICSI (where they inject the sperm into the egg?), how many eggs did they retrieve? How old are you?

If you can answer these questions I can give you a better answer.

Reply to Dee