Question
Posted by: SA | 2008/01/23

IVF and timing of Laproscopy

Hi Doc,
I have been diagnosed with Endometriosis, quite large cycts on both ovaries. I did not know of my condition until I want to a Gynae to check on why it wa staking so long to conceive. The only symptoms I had was regular swelling of the abdomen during ovulation and of course painful periods. My husband has also got a low sperm count. So most of the docs are aying that IVF is the best option for us.

What I would like to ask you is whether I should go for the laproscopy immediately (to remove the cysts) or wait till the time my husband and I want to go ahead with the IVF...i have heard that doing the lap just before the IVF maximises chances of conception..but my gynae insists I must go in for the lap immediately...please advice as I am not sure what to do and my only concern here is a healthy baby and I will undergo any pain caused by the endometriosis if I can ensure this.

Thanks a lot.

Dear SA

This is a catch twenty-two situation, allowing the endometriosis to continue poliferating thus delaying IVF may aggravate the endometriosis stage and consequently compromise the outcome of an IVF treatment. Quite correctly, the best IVF results will be obtained shortly after surgical correction of the endometriosis. Also undue delay after the surgery may result in the recurrence of the condition and hence will nullify the benefits of surgery. Therefore the ideal situation would be surgical correction followed shortly by IVF treatment in the near future.

2
Posted by: honey | 2009/01/27

hi i have been trying to conceive for 3 yrs now. i went to the gyne for check up and the result came back ok.what must i do to have that baby im desperate and i sometimes get upset because its not happening, i have never used contraceptives in my life and im 27 yrs old.

please advise

Reply to honey
Posted by: SUSAN | 2008/08/21

PLEASE GIVE US MORE ADVISE ABOUT GOING TO IVF IF YOU CAN' T GET PREGNENT NATURAL

Reply to SUSAN