Question
Posted by: SM | 2005/11/22

IVF

Dear Dr Cassim

Short summary of my history.
We've been trying to conceive for just over 2 years. Had a lap done in Jun '05 for stage 1 endo & to remove a fybroid (golf ball size). Fell pregnant 3 months after lap and mc'ed a week later. Returned to Fertility Specialist for follow up after mc, hubby went for additional testing and it was discover that not only does he have low sperm count, but it also seems that the sperm is not as active as it should be (low motility?) ... so we've been advised to try naturally 'till end Dec due to the previous conception, but if we have no success by end Dec we should, theoretically consider IVF. Which leads me to my question ... is this a common occurance in men and how does it happen? Could excessive stress be a contributing factor?

Thanking you in advance.

Dear SM

Thank you for your enquiry. The advise given to you to date is correct. However, I would not base my future treatment options on a single spermiogram.

It is advised that at least 3 sperm analysis be done before catergorically embarking on an assisted reproductive treatment option. Many factors including stress can alter, albeit transiently, sperm parameters. Therefore a change in lifestyle and in eating habits may be of benefit in borderline cases ,and I would consider that in this situation we are dealing with borderline sperm abnormalities.