Question
Posted by: harry burton | 2019/01/05

Upset stomach

I have had tummy upsets when I eat bread and it feels really unwell. I don't know if it could be a food allergy.

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2019/01/11

Keep a food diary of when you get the symptoms, don't stop eating bread and if bread is implicated then ask your GP to do a Coeliac Screen for Gluten Intolerance (Tissue Transglutaminase test). But don't stop eating wheat, bread and pasta until you have had the test done, otherwise you may get a false negative blood test result if you exclude gluten from the diet.

1
Posted by: Cassi Monroe, Allergy Nurse | 2019/01/11

You may also want to consider other allergens in the bread such as eggs, yeast, milk ingredients. It is not always the gluten and sometimes it is the gluten and then some.

Reply to Cassi Monroe, Allergy Nurse