Question
Posted by: Kate | 2007/06/01

IUI and morphology

My husband has 4% normal morphology with a very high count. Dr has suggested 3x IUI before considering IVF. From everything I have read it sounds like the normal cutoff for IUI is 6/7% so are we just waisting time going through the IUIs?

Dear Kate

You are correct in understanding that the indications for invitro fertilisation are stronger than those for IUI. However in rare situations pregnancies have occurred despite such morphology, in particular where the overall sperm count has been excellent. Hence I see no problem with attempting the IUI’s failing which the IVF should be attempted.

3
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/05

My FS did an IUI with my hubby's 0% morph. It didnt work but he didnt seem to phased by the poor morph due to the high enough count. I would do the 3x IUI's first and then move on to IVF. In the meantime get hubby on Staminogro, Vit C and Vit E. We are moving onto IVF now.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Joy | 2007/06/04

Yip, unfortunately it seems that some doctors have their own opinions about morphology and what is considered too low. The FS on the site (Dr. Cassim) suggested IVF with my PCOS and hubby's 5% morphology and yet my doctor insists that 5% isn't all that bad and we should continue with another IUI.

Reply to Joy
Posted by: Jill | 2007/06/04

Hi Kate,

Can't really help you answer your question, but I am in exactly the same boat as you Hubby has a count of over 79 million and only 4% morphology. Our gynae and a Urologist he saw have told us that we must just carry on and that we will fall pregnant naturally, but there are just so many conflicting stories...another fertility doctor told me that if his count does'nt improve, then we must do IVF/ ICSI, so I really don't know.

Where are you based, what doc are you with?

Reply to Jill