Question
Posted by: Zoey | 2005/12/15

IUI

I have just had an IUI insemination. I know it is to soon to tell, but is it posible to have a period while you are pregnant. I have heard that sometimes you do have your first period. Is this true? I have anout a week to go before my period should start, but should it start does it mean that it did not work at all?

dear Zoey

I do apologise for the delayed response.

It is quite frequently noted that individuals who conceive present with what appears to be a menstrual cycle. This bleed however is called an implantation bleed and could be indicative of a pregnancy in the process of implanting.

The important characteristic is that the so-called 'period' or implantation bleed occurs earlier than the normal expected time of a normal period. However, should you start bleeding at the correct time, ie when you expect your period to occur, it is usually unlikely that you have conceived.
However, you should take careful note of the number of days of the bleeding as an implantation bleed is usually much shorter than the normal menstrual bleed and should not last longer than two days.