Question

IUD and period

Dear Gynae,

I have had the copper IUD (Nova T380) inserted on 27 November 2007. I had a period like normal in December. I am sexually active. I have an issue with my period: there is brownish discharge and I have seen red blood in mucus but my period doesn't want to come. Usually I have a full period a few days after seeing the brown-red discharge. There is pinkish discharge and evertime I think "ha, here is my period" and then nothing.

I checked whether the IUD is still in place- and it is, I could feel the strings. I have no other issues like pain and the discharge doesn't smell. Is is normal to have a bit of a late period? My period is not really that late, it's there but not quite.

It does not seem that your period is late. You may just be having some premenstrual spotting.