Posted by: Janet | 2008/12/17


I am 38 years old, have been on the pill for since I was 16, recently started getting chest pains, and my gp suggested I go for an Iud, rather than staying on the pill till I' m 45. I have no medical aid, so can you tell me where to go, and what the cost will be for fitting this item? I have been off the pill for 1 month now, and my vision which was slightly blurry the last year or so, has now started to clear? Can this be due to using the pill for so long? Have been using Yasmin for the last few years, and Minesse before that.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

You can have an IUCD fitted at any Family Planning clinic and it should be free.
The Pill can change the shape of your eyeball, so the blurred vision may be related.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: ? | 2008/12/18

The Mirena IUD costs around R2500 to buy. You then have to have it inserted by your gynae. Check with your gynae what his/her charge is for inserting it.

Reply to ?

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.