Question
Posted by: ck | 2005/11/23

IUD

I'm 22years old & have been on the pill for 4 years now. I'm in a commited relationship for 4 yrs now too & we have never slept together without a condom. (we're extra safe) i am going overseas next year for 2 years and am considering getting an IUD inserted. I have a few questions if you could please help me out. :
1. i haven't had children before & i've heard you shouldn't have it inserted if you haven't had children, why is that?
2. will it effect my chances of falling pregant later on in life.
3. how painfull is it?
4. Which would be better, the Mirena, copper IUD or plastic IUD?
5. Is it safe?

The reason why doctors are reluctant to insert IUCDs if you have not had children is as follows. If you are not in a monogamous relationship, infections are commoner. The IUCD can allow these infections to move up to the uterus and tubes and this can cause infertility. If you are not at risk for STDs, this is not a problem.
The insertioon is a bit uncomfortable.
The copper IUCD is relatively cheap, but ahs the side effects of heavy and more painful periods. The Mirena is more expensive and the advantage is that periods are much lighter or absent.
The copper IUCD is about 98% safe and the Mirena 99.5%.

Best wises

1
Posted by: UID | 2005/11/23

go on the contraceptive site, I asked almost the same Q and was answered there and if you have more I know Karen will answer!

Reply to UID