Question
Posted by: Problemo | 2003/03/05

IUCD Removal

Hello,

Please help me with my dilema. I have to have my IUCD (what does the 'C' stand for?) removed. I have been to the gynae who suggested a hysteroscopy as he could not see it with the naked eye. The problem is that I only have a Hospital Plan, which only pays out if I am in hospital for more than 12 hours and the charge is R6000.00. The procedure will be 10 minutes long and I find it absurd to pay that sort of money. Is there somewhere else I can go to have it removed, perhaps my GP or a Midwife?

Thank you.

The C stands for contraceptive. If the strings cannot be seen, the IUCD may have moved up into the uterus, or may even have perforated through it. An ultrasound may sometimes be of help in seeing exactly where it is. If the strings are visible, it is fairly easy to remove just by pulling on the strings and this an be done by a GP or midwife. However, if the strings are lost this is a problem and a hysteroscopy is necessary. If you cannot afford the private fees, you can ask for a referral to a state hospital.

1
Posted by: Star | 2003/03/06

Hi Problemmo,
It is absurd to pay that sum for such a minor procedure.Go to your GP or your nearest family planning clinic,they will sort u out for much much lesser.

Reply to Star