Posted by: Problemo | 2003/03/05

IUCD Removal


Please help me with my dilema. I have to have my IUCD (what does the 'C' stand for?) removed. I have been to the gynae who suggested a hysteroscopy as he could not see it with the naked eye. The problem is that I only have a Hospital Plan, which only pays out if I am in hospital for more than 12 hours and the charge is R6000.00. The procedure will be 10 minutes long and I find it absurd to pay that sort of money. Is there somewhere else I can go to have it removed, perhaps my GP or a Midwife?

Thank you.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

The C stands for contraceptive. If the strings cannot be seen, the IUCD may have moved up into the uterus, or may even have perforated through it. An ultrasound may sometimes be of help in seeing exactly where it is. If the strings are visible, it is fairly easy to remove just by pulling on the strings and this an be done by a GP or midwife. However, if the strings are lost this is a problem and a hysteroscopy is necessary. If you cannot afford the private fees, you can ask for a referral to a state hospital.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Star | 2003/03/06

Hi Problemmo,
It is absurd to pay that sum for such a minor procedure.Go to your GP or your nearest family planning clinic,they will sort u out for much much lesser.

Reply to Star

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.