Question
Posted by: Lara | 2005/06/10

Its turning bad, who can help?

Please give me SOME advice, i have this friend, he is on the road to becoming an alcoholic. He gets drunk every night at home alone, and then gets depressed. He lives far from me so there is not much i can do now, and he wont go and see someone professional. What must i do? I dont want to see him go down. Pls help me!

So long as he refuses to recognize that he has a serious alcohol problem, there's really nothing you or anyone else can do, except perhaps to wait and be available when he does recognize this unpleasant trueth. And sadly, often the alcoholic needs to go down before they will face the fact.

3
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/06/10

It sounds like he might be there already?

Is there no one he is close to where he stays that you could talk to?

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: feline | 2005/06/10

I think this guy realy has a big problem!but i don't c anything wrong with it bcause i do it everynight and it is good for ur health actually.if he doesnt want to be helped just leave him alone!!!!!!

Reply to feline
Posted by: Alkie | 2005/06/10

Get some friends or relatives that are closer to him to visit with him. Loneliness in itself can be very depressing, more so when you are far away from people that care & love you.
Suggest to him places that he could go to where he could get involved with others. Things that keep him away from the thought of having a drink because he may be bored or lonely or just have nothing better to do. Maybe give him somethings to do for you while he is by himself. The trick is to keep busy so he doesn't have time to think of drinking. But don't become a nag as you will surely push him further into drinking more... Hope this helps a little.

Reply to Alkie