Question
Posted by: Menette | 2005/12/06

ITP vs PCOS

More than a year ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Shortly thereafter I fell pregnant (much to my doctor's surprise). During my pregnancy it was detected that I have extremely low blood platelet count. My doctors monitored it closely and hoped it was only pregnancy induced ITP. Since my daughter's birth, the platelet count has declined considerably and have been told to go on cortisone treatment etc.

I have been trying to find information and am interested by the fact that both these disorders (PCOS & ITP, which they now believe I have) seem to be caused or have something to do with sugar and/or diabetes.

Could you perhaps direct me somewhere to find out if there is perhaps any information with both of these stemming from diabetes or sugar intolerance etc.

I feel tremendously lost between all the medical jargon provided for either of these disorders.

Thanks.

Dear Menette,
Give me a day or two to read up on this and send me a reminder by Thursday?