Posted by: zikky | 2008/07/03

ITP- Immune thrombocytopenia

Hi, Ive been dignosed with ITP by a Physician and I feel he is not well clued up about the deases can I have list of heamtologists aroung Gauteng. Is this disease curable? Will I be able to bear children? Will I be obese in future cause the current medication makes me plumpy and fat? please assist

Dear Zikky
Look under On the right hand side at the bottom is a red "free search" button. click on it. Then click People, medical, hematologists, Gauteng. ITP is often an auto immune disease ( your body attacks or make antibodies against the platelets causing depletion of Platelets) You will be able to have children, may just need more careful monitoring during pregnancy. See
Medication need not make you fat, depends on what you use. Cortisone treatment cause water retention and some weight gain in some people.
Good luck. Let me know if you can't find the list?