Posted by: itchy | 2008/08/25

itchy...pls help!!!

I don' t know what' s wrong with me but i subconsciously scratch my legs - sometimes until it bleeds. Especially while i' m sleeping. It leaves the ugliest scratch marks on my legs, causing me not wanting to wear shorts/skirts. I' ve tried every possible moisturising cream/lotion available but it doesn' t stop. 2 years ago i developed blood clots after an operation and was put on Warfarin treatment for a year. Soon after that the itching started but I' ve been off the medication for over a year now and i' m still scratching! What can i do to ease the itching or stop scratching all together?

Dear itchy
This could be a sign of "post phlebitic syndrome" caused by reduced venous flow of blood in the leg. Try sleeping with your legs elevated, wear "flight socks" to increase venous flow in the legs and try taking Vit B 3 and B5 supplements.