Question
Posted by: Marlene | 2004/10/11

Itchy Skin - pregnant

Hi Guys

I need some help. I'm almost 29 weeks pregnant and have developed this itchy skin and it's driving me nuts. I went to my normal GP they did some test and nothing (I thought I was alergic to something) Now, I know that it's normal in pregnancy, but really I've tried everything to keep the itch away. Babyoil,Cocobutter oil, cream I got from my GP, Aq. cream everything. When I shower or bath it itches even more, and at some places I've scratch so bad I've almost started bleeding and it gets very sensitive.

Please help, do you know of anything I can use to make the itch go away. It even keeps me up at night and I can't sleep. I would really appreciate the info.

Thanx

You can use anti-histamines at night it is safe. See a gynae to have your liver functions checked please

6
Posted by: Angie2 | 2004/10/11

I agree with Jelly.Palmers Cocoa Butter cream helped for me.

Reply to Angie2
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/10/11

Hi Marlene
Cannot believe that you are this far already - looking forward to it??? Do you know if you will have a blue or pink bundle??

I also itched and like all of you it drove me nuts - especially at night it was the worst. I used in combination with the oils, tubs of plain old aquous cream and it helped for me. What I did was, I took the lid of for it to form a thicker layer on top and used that layer.

Take care and all the best with the sratching.

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Jelly | 2004/10/11

I found a product at Dischem called Palmers - they have a spar oil that feels like it alleviates the itch. I have dry skin usually and use loads of moisturisers but I feel like its not enough at the moment and I got this product - I also use the Palmers body butter cream. The oil I found with the other preggy massage creams. Its formulated for itchy skin when pregnant.

Reply to Jelly
Posted by: Blaze | 2004/10/11

Hi Marlene,

I am also 29 weeks, and my skin is driving me crazy at the moment. The only thing that I have found that has helped is bathing in bio oil - and have put huge amounts into the bath. I only noticed it starting to help after the third bath or so. Also what aggravated it more in my case was chlorine - I know swimming is good, but the itchiness afterwards was awful. Everything else has failed. I have also become careful in what I wear from the perspective that certain clothes make me itchier than others.

Good luck, hope you come right

Reply to Blaze
Posted by: Marlene | 2004/10/11

Hi Frqancis

Ek gebruik Lux, maar ek gaan vanaand vir my dove koop en kyk of dit dalk help. Ek het dit glad nie met my vorige swangerskap gehad nie. Dit is baie irriterend. Ek dal die babapoeier ook probeer.

Dankie man, ek is so desperaat vir enige iets wat sal help.

Reply to Marlene
Posted by: Francis | 2004/10/11

Watter seep gebruik jy. Ek het dieselfde probleem ontwikkel met my eerste swangerskap en het oorgeskakel na protex seep en direk daarna het ek my hele lyf met babapoeier gegooi. Ek krap myself ook dat die bloed loop en op daardie plekkies smeer ek 'n alergieroompie aan.

Daar is niks wat ek dink wat eintlik help nie, want jou vel rek ook baie en dit kan dit ook veroorsaak en ek hoop ek kry dit nie weer nie.

Sterkte en ek hoop jy kry genoeg raad.

Reply to Francis