Question
Posted by: Itchy | 2003/02/10

Itchy Skin bites

We spent a weekend at a farm in Vryheid. My wife and I have gotten what apears to be bites that are about 5mm to 15 mm in diameter. They are red, inflamed and itch like you cannot believe. The skin is hard and when scratched, they ooze a clear fluid. (I assume some form of natural function)

We did not see fleas, but the farm is ridden with them. There were also a number of rats. We are thinking it might be mites. Surely we would have seen fleas. We were only "bitten' where our skin was exposed. This was mainly during sleep and when we sat on the couches. The marks have not spread. We bought Antisan from the pharmacist, but the itching remains.

Any ideas? We are keen to stop it if it is an infectious type of itch. How long before the suffering ends?

Itchy, it sounds like you suspect the fleas and I agree with you. It may of course be another insect like tics that bit you, but fleas are the most likely. You can take an oral anti-histamine like Phenergan® with the antihistamine cream if the itching is too bad. It should clear up within a couple of days if there s no secondary infection. If you start getting symptoms like headaches, nausea, etc. you will have to see your doctor. Good luck.