Posted by: dogsmom | 2008/10/07

itchy skin and spots

There was a previous messaage about this condition which my dog has- itchy skin with areas eg. on the rump where it flakes like dandruff, as well as itchy spots which come up, form a scab then subside. Most spots are on the rump, a few on the head and chest. As with the other message, my dog was diagnosed as having an inhaled allergic reaction through blood and skin tests. The dog is now on one Allergex twice daily. It doesn' t clear up the condition but the itching is reduced.
I would like to know if there is an effective natural supplement or herbal medication which is even safer to use.
I also use hypoallergenic shampoo to bath my dog, give a daily flax seed oil capsule and put tea tree oil (in a grape seed oil base) on the spots when they seem particularly itchy. Is there anything else I can do? My dog eats " sensitive"  dog food.

Dear Dogsmom

You can order a vaccination specially for the dogs allergens from overseas. Very expensive but works well. I would stick to the Allergex and give her daily doses of Efazol. This increases the resistance of the skin.

Posted by: Jax | 2009/01/26

When you talk about Allergex, is that the same that humans use?

Reply to Jax