Question
Posted by: mousie | 2006/11/09

itchy mouse

I have a pet mouse and she scratches alot. In about August, we took her to the vet and he checked her for mites but didnt find anything. So he gave her an injection for the irritation and gave us some cream and shampoo to bath her. she needed the cream bacause she had actually cut her self with her nails. She also had a couple of bald patches. Now her hair is healthier but she still scratches. I clean her cage and only use torn up newspaper for bedding. The weird thing is that when i hold her she doesnt scratch but when i put her back in her cage, she scratches again. Her friend died in about may and they were quite close. she is the only mouse now. I bath her weekly and clean her cage but she still scratches.
she has also got cuts on her face now from scratching and i was wondering if there was anything i could do about her nails. someone mentioned putting sandpaper down but that would damage her palms. and i am too nervous to cut them myself.
So any idea on the cause and how i can deal with her nails? Thanx

It is very difficult to find mites on rats and mice so often one has top resort to treating them for mites anyway - this is NOT how we usually treat disease BUT when all else has been ruled out as causign the itchiness, treatment is given. Response to treatment is aslo a confirmation of the diagnosis.

1
Posted by: mousie | 2006/11/12

thanx for nothing.......dissapointing

Reply to mousie