Question
Posted by: Bruce | 2004/10/14

Itchy Eye

Good afternoon, would you please help?
I live in Pretoria and was outside in the garden 10 days ago. I suddenly felt a burning sensation in my right eye. It was very sore. I flushed it out and it itched / burned for about 15 minutes and then subsided. Now and again (maybe every third day), I get an itchy feeling in that eye, and then it passes. No blurred vision, or any side effects other than the occasional irritated feeling in the eye. Visual inspection doesn't show anything. Should I get it checked out. Saw a horror TV show about a bug that laid its eggs in the eye - is this for real? Looking forward to your response. Kind regards.

Bruce, there are certain insects (black flies) that may cause eye problems – I think you’re referring to river blindness (onchocerciasis). You don’t have to worry though, because it isn’t present in Pretoria. It was probably due to a little insect or piece of plant material and it’s nothing to worry about. If it doesn’t clear up within the next week though, the best would be to see your doctor just to make sure. Good luck.