Question
Posted by: Riaan | 2006/07/28

Itching Boxer

My female Boxer is suffering from severe skin irritation, especially during summer. She's been for numerous examinations, skin scrapes, special shampoo treatments and injections. It seems that the combination of cortisone and food for sensitive skin helps to control some of the irritation. Now, another Boxer owner suggested Flower of Sulphur as a remedy by mixing the powder into Vaseline, smearing it somewhere on the dog and allow it to lick it so that it can work from "inside". I don't know anything around this or the dosage to use. Can you please advise.

Flower of sulphur is a remedy used for certain skin conditions many years ago. Its use has been surpassed by modern medicine as it is not very effective (unless used when indcated - i.e. if the cause of the itchy skin is sensitive to sulphur then it must be used). Itchyness has numerous causes and unfortunately it is a matter of eliminating all the causes one-by-one. This make any skin "work-up" time consuming and expensive. It is often necessary to try 3 or 4 anti-histamine treatments before the effective one is found. The new foods manufactured for skin conditions have done a lot to help these dogs. Even though corticosteroids are symptomatic treatment it is sometimes necessary to use them to break the itchy cycle while other treatments are allowed to take their effect.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/28

This may work, or it may not. One strong recommendation I have is that you run it by your vet first. You really don't want to do this and make things worse, or create a whole new potential problem.

In passing... have you seen a veterinary dermatologist at all? I know that skin problems can be a real bummer to resolve, but the trick is usually to be a really good detective and establish the cause. Specialists can obviously do more in this respect than general vets.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2006/07/28

No idea, my boxers dont have anything like this ..... some dogs are very sensitive to grass??

Reply to Carol