Question
Posted by: A | 2004/11/01

Itching and irritating bumps

We live in a very hot and humid area in Limpopo Province. For the past 2 years every summer my parents got a skin disorder with itching and irritating bumps but it is not mosquito bites. We have copper water pipes in our house and I was just wondering, since I also have this breakout now, if it is possible that the copper in the pipes can cause this? The pipes are more than 4 years old and I expect that the heat and humidity this time of year might have something to do with it. The local GP doesn't know much and last year he diagnosed it as a form of scabies. But this year I'm also living with my parents and now I also have these itching and irritating bumps. It reminds me a lot of the chicken pocks I had when I was a child. What is the explanation for this. Please answer urgently! And what advise do you have?

A, I doubt that it is due to the water pipes. It sounds like an allergy or bites of some sorts, but I won’t be able to make a diagnosis without being able to examine them first. Maybe the best would be to get a second opinion from a different doctor. Good luck.