Question
Posted by: Scratchy | 2007/04/18

Itchiness

A year ago I developed a skin allergy on my arms and bottom which my GP diagnosed as dermatitis and prescribed a steroid ointment which relieved the itch but didn’t cure it. My arms are 100% better. The itchy bum has become progressively worse and is now almost unbearable, the itch keeps me awake at night, it’s impossible to stop scratching, my skin is raw, sensitive and lately, very swollen. I’ve tried Preparation H to no avail. I'm terribly embarrassed to go back to my GP. At first I thought it was caused by the elastic on my g-strings, since it’s specifically on that line (around the anus and inside of the cheeks) but now it’s spread to the front (not internal only on the outside labia and on top). This itch is so intense I cannot begin to describe it. I’ve been taking anti histamine for the last 5 nights but it doesn’t help at all.

Hygiene isn’t a problem, I shower daily in lukewarm water, use only white soap (not perfumed) with a low PH, use only white toilet paper, only wear cotton full briefs, don’t wear tight clothes. I’m active, drink at least 6 glasses of water a day, eat healthy and have never had any STD’s.

Do you know what this could possibly be? Should I go to my gynae, or a dermatologist, or my GP? And should I abstain from sex, is this contagious?

Dear Scratchy
I think you should see a dermatologist - you may have a fungal skin infection that got secondary inflammation on top of it, called Intertrigo. ( Almost like a Nappy rash?) See http://familydoctor.org/877.xml

1
Posted by: Scratchy | 2007/04/18

Since I first had the allergy a year ago, I've gained about 10 kg (my weight has been the same for the last 20 years) and my stomach is bigger, almost bloated/swollen. Maybe there is a correlation.

I appreciate your advice.

Reply to Scratchy