Question
Posted by: annie | 2005/07/26

itchiness

dear gynaedoc,

i've had a embarassing problem for the last month or so (since my last period). i have an extreme itchiness around my vaginal area (towards the thigh area)going right down to the anus. the first time i experienced it i was wearing a pad during menstruation.its really frustrating & i've tried to relieve it by applying vaseline (as you would to a baby). im scratching all the time & its causing that skin to be tender. i've now stopped using bubble bath in an attempt to relieve it & it does seem to help.

please help - i really dont want to go to a doctor.

thanks for your assistance.

The possibilities are thrush, an allergy or a skin problem or some other infection. Try Canesten cream. If this does not help, you will have to see a doctor to sort out the cause.