Question
Posted by: HS | 2008/01/28

ITB Injury

Hi There,

Can anyone give me some advice regarding an ITB injury, must I have a look at my shoes, and how can I treat it efficiently?

Hi HS

The biggest factor contributing to the ITB injury is training, because it always takes a sudden increase in training distance or intensity to bring on an injury. Now, "sudden increase" is relative, and so it may just be that you're veryslightly increased your activity recently. You'd have to figure out just where it may have happened.

But once it has, then treatment focuses on reducing the training, and also looking where there might be muscle imbalances and inflexibility, which can contribute.

Here is a really good website that explains it pretty well.

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/

On the note of the shoes, they CAN be a contributing factor, but more often, they get blamed when it really is training and flexibility that should be looked at. So check those first, and then maybe look at the right shoes.

1
Posted by: kobo | 2009/02/20

I have a nagging pain on the back my thigh and hip on the left leg,I used run marathons I have recently stopped ,I only play golf but the pain does not go away.

Reply to kobo