Question
Posted by: SJ | 2005/12/05

ITB

I have been suffering from ITBFS for a while now, and it is seriously affecting my training. I run for about 3kms every time before the pain comes on and it gets worse unless I stop to rest. I have been doing pelvic stabilization exercises as I have been told that a lack of pelvic stabiltiy could possibly add to the problem. I dont overpronate and have been using the same style of shoe for ages. Wont you advise me on the next step to take, if there is one!

Kind regards
Sj

Expert ImageArchive

Dear SJ

There are a miriad of causes to ITBFS. Tight gluteus muscles, hamstrings and ITB are contributing factors and these should be stretched daily. Are you sure you are doing the correct pelvic stabilisation exercises? Also, it is possible that the way in which your patella (knee cap) moves across the knee may be incorrect, contributing to ITBFS. There are very specific exercises that need to be done to correct this.

Your best option is to see a biokineticist or sports physiotherapist, who has delt successfully with this condition, for a progressive strengthening and re-alignment exercise programme. Often this takes months to correct and you need to be very committed to your rehabilitation. It is very difficult to correct this on your own.

Another option is to see a podiatrist for shoe inserts, which will need to be changed over time. However, you should combine this with an exercise program still.