Posted by: visitor | 2008/07/02

it seems his spirit is broken...

my husband has been self employed for many years. the last few years we have battled financially and it came to a point a few months ago that he gave it all up and found a job (well paying with co vehicle and free fuel) of course i am very happy about this as we really went through a difficult time. He is not happy at all and i know he would like to be self employed again. he has changed esp towards me. he usually talks and laughs a lot but is now very quiet. i think he resents me in a way. i have tried to talk to him but he shuts me out. i feel like i must just let him get on with it and he will adjust and should stop asking him whats wrong, is he ok!!!
what advice CS

Sad that he feels bad about gaining a good job with a salary and perks that make both of your lives so much better, and that he hankers after being self-employed, even though that line of work seems to have been largely a failure. COuld you persuade him to join you in marriage counselling to work on these and broader issues together ? Try praising him for the good things he has gained. Rather than adguring or prodding him about what;s wrong, frequently thank him for his kindness in taking a job that has relieved those financial worries, and enables you to feel more secure --- remind him to love how, even though it isn't all he'd wished for at this stage, he is such a loving and good provider. Reinforce and encourage all the good things about who he is and what he is doing now. Even in little things ( though avoid getting monotonous !) tell him how nice it is to be able to aford something nice for dinner, without worrying so much about whether you can afford it.