Question
Posted by: Liza | 2004/11/12

It just never ends

Went out with my bf on Wednesday after work - took him back home just after 8 'cause I still had to come back to work and do some database stuff. As soon as he started getting out the car, another car suddenly pulled up behind us, grabbed him and held him to the floor with a gun to his head, ripped open my door and asked me where cellphones and wallets were. Now my handbag is always hidden away under my seat - so there was nothing for this robber to find. I was just so scared that I couldn't even get out a peep - eventually he got really angry and I finally got out that my handbag was under the driver's seat. So he grabbed that, together with the keys from the ignition and left.

On the one hand I just feel so lucky that neither of us were hurt. On the other I'm absolutely livid! Almost a whole months' supply of my low bloodpressure medication was in my handbag. Personally I hope that they will think it will make them high - and then something else goes high and pop. Luckily got all the cards stopped in time - but the cellphone I got just last week on contract is gone too. (No insurance) So now I again don't have something that is always on me to remind me of things.

So from now on, I'll have a false handbag under the driver's seat containing a wallet with some expired cards, 10 bucks, my 16 yr old ID and just to make it look real, a cellphone (I'm sure my sister will give me one of the broken ones in her safe - she has about 4). I'm suggesting to everyone else to do the same. Especially if practically your whole life is in your handbag. Plus they're not so hot on trying to steal cars nowadays - the chances that a tracking device has been installed is just too big.

Well there was my bad day for the week - this means that I almost must have passed my exam!

SOunds like that might be a good tactic, Liza ! I remember in the bad old days before New York City cleaned up it's street crime, we were told to NEVER go out without SOME money for a mugger --- to carry $20 in a pocket to give them as they tended to get angry and violent if we had nothing to give ; and another $ 20 in our socks or shoes, to use in an emergency.
Interesting to hear that they're less interested in pinching cars now --- I wonder what he planned to do with your keys ? Maybe just took them to stop you from chasing him. A dmmy bag might help, so long as the contents were convincing enough at first glance.
Sorry to hear about your awful experience. I wish there was some way we could convince there robbers and hujackers to concentrate on attacking members of Parliament and Ministers, so they could understand what the rest of us experience, and why nobody ever believes them when they announce with didgy figures that the crime rates are falling !
Oh, and good luck with the exam ! I'd hold thumbs for you, but my typing here is bad enough already !

2
Posted by: Liza | 2004/11/12

Okay - stop holding thumbs now. Don't want to get sued because they had to amputate ;)

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/12

Hey Liza,

I am sorry about your experience & very glad you came out of it without any serious harm. I must say though, I really like your idea about the false hand-bag!!! Very clever...

Don't worry, still holding thumbs for you on the exam... but I hope you get the results soon as thumb turning blue now...

Take care,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun