Question
Posted by: fedup | 2005/07/06

it is not worth living

Stress stress and more stress is exactly what my life is about. I work for an idiot who is rude, and hates to pay his staff what they are worth. Also, leave is always a problem here. I have been working for this company for 6 years. Things have just been getting worse and worse, my boss walks past all his staff without even greating. It is such a terrible environment with such negativity and it is affecting my personal life as i go home upset and depressed. I cannot leave as i have responsibilities and dont know what other job to do. All the people at my work are doing 3 peoples work and the pressure here is increasing.
I am starting to hate life and it is killing me inside................
Why do we work our lives away like this, if this is what life is about, it is not worth living.

As I often have to say --- why on earth think of pronouncing a death sentence on yourself, when the culprit is someone else ? So you have a thoroughly rotten boss ---as many people do. Is there an HR dept which could help you, maybe to transfer to a different section ? Look for another job. Don't let this lousy man spoil your private and personal life, and don't believe any of the negative feeling he may try to give you.

4
Posted by: curious | 2005/07/06

is this a big company?i wish i knew who it was before I started there...Obviously you can't say.

Reply to curious
Posted by: sunflower | 2005/07/06

life is worth living and i pray that God will show you that. but God helps those who help themselves, and there is always an alternative even if that alternative is just a change in our mindset. as kc said don't let his negative attitude affect the way you relate to others, this is particularly difficult but the alternative is letting his frustration affect your quality of life.

i was in a similar position where i hated my workplace and then i tried to deal with the issues before i started looking for a new job and that is my concern for you. remember that people like this never have anything nice to say about anyone so don't take his behaviour too personally. i sit opposite a colleague like that who does not like black people (except herself) and does not like women (except herself) and does not like young people (except her own) so i used to take it personally for months and then one day i decided to fight back. clearly your boss is very frustrated in fact i think you should pray for him because he is obvouisly living a miserbale life. but don't let his misery make you miserable and stop you from being the best that you can be in your personal and professional life. personally i think its the devil that makes your boss act the way he does. there must be something that you can do, send out some cv's, or maybe a course you can pick up to upgrade your skills? remember that even though qualifications are important experience is invaluable. you don't say what kind of work that you do.

i reckon you just don't have the self confidence to start looking for another job, don't let yourself live within the limits of your imagination. i handed in a cv and was called in for an inerview and have only been out of varsity for 2 and a half years, and was told that i am worth more than what i get paid now anyway, so don't undermine your capabilities please. and remember that everything that you are going through now is just a test and even though this sounds like a cliche it will only make you stronger, i speak from experience.

not matter how bad things get, never never never give up.

remember what kc said, if you let yourself slip you will only be giving up on yourself.

good luck.

Reply to sunflower
Posted by: SG | 2005/07/06

I think you need some time out !!! Try to get as much fun/relaxation time as possible.If you are not happy with your current job, you should consider looking elsewhere.
In the meantime,get out there and enjoy some quality time with family/friends.

Reply to SG
Posted by: KC | 2005/07/06

I wonder if we work for the same company. My boss even swears at us, he makes racist remarks, a real ass in short!!! The staff turnover is so high - in 4 years about 60 people have come and gone, and this is a small company....

I went through a period of self doubt. It affected my relationship with family, friends, fiance.....and i just couldnt even find the energy to get up in the morning.

I have been here for 4.5 years. I did not work for the last 3 months - because i just didnt care anymore. If he thought nothing of me, i may as well give him a reason.

But who's time was i wasting - my own. The deadlines were piling up, i was being unproductive - playing solitaire and surfing the net all day.....

You make a decision - he already controls you at work - dont let it seep into your home life as well. Dont let him allow your hatred for him to monopolise your thoughts.

send your cv out, look for other jobs. Somethings bound to come your way. Just adopt a positive attitude - you will feel the difference!!

Reply to KC