Question
Posted by: Learner | 2003/01/16

Isometrics

Please can you explain this to me.

Isometric exercises by definition occurs when a force is applied to a resistant object. This type of exercise has a role in a number of programmes for muscle strengthening.

For example: pushing against a brick wall. Although there is a build up of tension in the muscles there is no actual movement.

To increase your strength, you should maintain a position in any one isometric exercise for between 6 to 8 seconds. The exercise should then be repeated approximately 5 to 10 times.

Keep the following in mind:

1. Any one isometric exercise will only increase muscle strength at one joint angle. To strengthen the other joint positions requires repetition of further corresponding exercises.

2. Isometric exercises on their own are not recommended for strength training. They must only form part of a complete exercise programme (see War on Wobbles on the home page).

3. If you suffer from heart disease or raised blood pressure you should stay clear of isometric training. During muscular contractions in this form of exercise, blood pressure can rise quite profoundly, whichis to be avoided.

I hope this helps you.