Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2007/06/19

Isolation

Dear CS
I’m living like a hermit, hiding from my neighbours, hiding from my colleagues. I don’t go out if I could help it. I'm very, very lonely. Intrusive thoughts of ending my life are scaring me. How could I? How dare I? I know I won’t do it, but I find it disturbing. Something bad is out there waiting for me, ready to pounce. I can feel its presence. All I want to do is sleep, but anxiety is making it difficult. I’ve got no problems, and there is no reason why I should feel like this. I’ve been taking an anti-depressant for a while, and I’ve received counselling, but I just can’t get away from these feelings. How can I stop this? It feels as if there is no escape and it's becoming worse.

It sounds as though you have become very seriously depressed --- fortunately, a curable condition, but a srious and risky condition without treatment. DO arange to see a good local psychiatrist for assessment and treatment, as you could be feeling enormously happier and freer than this. You may not be on the right antidepressant for you, and counselling HAS to be of the CBT (Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) form to be effective here.

1
Posted by: Chelle | 2007/06/19

Hi. The more you isolate yourself, the worse these thoughts are going to get. When your thoughts are continuously negative, and you're continually alone with them, they become overwhelming.

You said you have been for counselling, but it doesn't seem to have been effective as it could be. Effective counselling will help you cope with these thoughts and teach you methods to stop these recurring thoughts, and help you get out and about and socialise more.

What is waiting for you out there is a life full of people who do care. A life that is filled with excitement and pleasure, and yes, with its downs too, but these needn't take over.

Please get the help you deserve and allow yourself to start experiencing the goodness out there!

Best wishes.

Reply to Chelle