Question
Posted by: Cindy-Leigh | 2005/06/30

Is weight training for a 12 year old boy okay?

Hi there, was hoping you could help me. My family (husband, self & son) have recently all joined the gym, My son has become (before) a bit of a computer game junkie and doesn't do much in the line of exercise. Partakes in swimming as a school sport and not much else, so you can understand how chuffed I am that he's actually enjoying the exercise.

What does worry me though is that he's doing a few weights, not using more than 10 kilograms, but I have heard that weight training for developing bones could stunt growth. Damean is 12 years old, weighs 57.3 kgs and is 1.70 m tall (yes a big boy) but still growing and although I do want him to keep at the exercise routine I'm worried that the weights are going to do more harm than good. Is this something I should be worried about or am I just being an over protective mother?

Thanx very much for taking the time.

Kind regards
Cindy-Leigh

Expert ImageTeen expert

12 is young for someone to be doing weight-training, and it can have detrimental effects on a developing body if over-done. I strongly suggest you get advice from staff at the gym where you go. They should have personal trainers on hand who will advise on the best kinds of exercise. In many gyms they have a rule that under 16's should not be using weight-training equipment, so check before you go any further.

For his age one of the best forms of exercise is swimming.