Question
Posted by: B | 2007/06/18

Is USN the best option

With so many defferent supplement brands out there such as Supplements SA, Evox and Muscle Science, is USN always the best option? As rumours go USN spend extensive amounts of money on marketing increasing the price of the product. Where other brands are just as good. Been in the gym circle for 5 years. Taking the last 2 years naturally. Looking for a good supplement but have been blowen away by the massive range! Looking at Ganic-f by SA Supplements. Would really appreciate your imput on this choice and which suplements you wold recommend?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi B

I don’t think it is appropriate for me to voice my opinion regards other companies. I do however judge a range by true scientic backing. If they spend money on research and not merely quote scientific literature on their labels I recon they are worth their salt. Coming from a research background I can tell you it is time consuming and VERY expensive to do research and such will necessary impact on the price of the products as is with pharmaceuticals. Be careful of marketing ploys as they can trick you into belief. Review the scientific literature quoted on products for scientific soundness meaning for example was the research performed as a double blind study or just face value and is there flaws in the research methodology.

Some companies purchase cheaper ingredients – one such example is bloatedness experienced from low grade whey proteins which you will obviously only know when you drink it and experience it for yourself.
My personal favourite is the EAS range as they have WADA (world anti-doping association) and are recognized by the IOC (International Olympic Committee). I know they use sound scientic testing and you can contact their headoffice in America in terms thereof. It is also the first time in history that a Pharmaceutical company (Abbott) bought a nutrition supplement company as part of their portfolio which in itself speaks loadly. However, I do believe it is a growing market with strong competition and see other companies improving in terms of GMP (good manufacturing practices) to protect their interest. Those that don’t will ultimately disappear from the market.

Good luck! I hope your exploration experience is fun.

Take care.
Vanessa

3
Posted by: Davy | 2007/08/06

i use ganic f it is a great product, i think all the supplement sa products are petty decent, definately better than usn

Reply to Davy
Posted by: IndiGO | 2007/06/25

Hi B,

EAS does make good stuff.
Most of the international companies make far better supplements than the SA one's and very often some of the SA companies 'copy' the supplements from the international ones. If you can't afford EAS try Muscle Science.

Reply to IndiGO
Posted by: Tango | 2007/06/24

Thanks Vanessa for endorsing the EAS range. Yes, it is the only range with scientific research and backing. Having a medical background I guess I would only ever favor any product that has that backing otherwise anyone can make up mixtures and sell them.

Reply to Tango