Question
Posted by: Kev | 2004/10/19

Is this possible?

I'm male, 5ft11 and am currently taking Whey Protein, aNitrox and Phedra. Have been gyming consistently for the last 2 months.

Went to gym on Saturday morning, measured my stats i.e blood pressure, body fat, weight etc.

My weight on Sat morning was 81.5 Kg and my body fat percentage was 27% (Was not very happy with this reading as I know it is not that high)

Anyway,

Was at the gym again last night and did the same measurements,

My weight now is 83.5 Kg and my body fat percentage is 19% (much happier with this reading :-)

Question is, is possible to gain 2 Kg and lose 12% body fat in 2 days, the body fat percentage was probably a wrong reading in the first place but to gain 2 Kg in two days?? Possible?? My gym programme consists of 10 –20 min cardio before weight training.

HI Kev

NO, it's not possible to lose this much body fat, short of liposuction. I think that what has probably happened is an erroneous reading on the machine or using the methods you used to determine your value. I don't know exactly what you are using to work out this body fat - I assume it is the infrared machine in the gym, and if this is the case, then it's possible that there was something either faulty, or perhaps some light managed to slip in while you were taking the reading. I know from experience with the machine that this can sometimes happen, so you just have to be very careful to get the best accuracy possible. Also remember that you must do weight before body fat.

As for the increase in mass, that's quite possible to gain 2 kg over a period of weeks just from muscle, but I suspect that your case is more likely dietary. If you think about it, a can of coke, some juice, and perhaps a muffin is probably going to add about 1 to 2 kg to your body weight, and there's the difference. I'm speculating of course, but I have heard and know again from experience that weight readings will fluctuate wildly if the diet and procedures leading up to the measurement are not controlled. Therefore, the best way to weigh yourself is in the morning, or only once or twice a week following a day of eating the same meals and training the same way.

Hope this helps and good luck with the training.