Question
Posted by: Making my comeback!!! | 2006/10/25

Is this ok???

Hey doc! Kind of a long story but I will try and keep it short.

I use to be a fitness fanatic at school, 11yrs ago, but went all overboard and basically lived a junkie lifestyle. Anyways, in Feb 2006 my doctor told me that I am on my way to become a diabetic. But it was not too late, just eating correctly etc will help get me on the right track as I said I will not drink any pills etc.

At that stage I weighed 145kg and was 1,9m tall.

At the moment I weigh 125kg and is still 1,9m tall.

So a friend and I decide we are going to start training and do the jog thing and some weights, with the idea of joining a reputable gym(Not Virgin) in Jan 07 to start bodybuilding.

So we jog/run 2,4km a day Monday - Friday, but we can not seem to break through the barrier in completing the whole 2,4km's without stopping.

Now my question, when I really push my myself while out running it has happenned that I get numbness in my right arm, and sometimes get lightheaded but not at the same time.

What is the reason for this and how can it be overcome?

I know that we are only scratching the surface with our excersize at the moment, but we are both very committed.

It was so nice to push myself again and getting that tingly hairraising feeling when pushing myself to the extreme.

Well done, I'm inspired, I think it's great that you are committed, I hope that your progress matches your committment!

The first thing that I think you need to do is go for a physical/medical screen just to make sure that you are safe to exercise. Not that I mean to alarm you or anything, but it's important for anyone to have some idea of their risk status, and in your case, maybe more so because we do know that being overweight (and being on the way to diabetic, as you mention) is a risk factor. So to be on the safe side, i would have this checked out. It may also help to explain that numbness and lightheadedness, which I must confess I'm not 100% sure of. I suspect it may be blood pressure related, particularly the light headedness. The only other explanation I can think of is low blood glucose, but this seems unlikely, and so my leaning is for blood pressure. That will correct itself over time as you get fitter, so hopefully, no problem.

If I may make a suggestion, if you are trying to run 2,4 km but not getting to the distance, then don't continue to try to run that far only to fail at say 2,1 km. Rather split it up deliberately, maybe into two halves of 1,2 km, with a short, 2 minute walk rest. If that works, then increase the distance of the halves to 1,4 km, for a total distance of 2,8 km. Another week and you can increase to 1,6 km with the 2 or 3 minute rest. By the time you can run two halves of 1,6 km, you should be able to run 2,4 km without stopping. So the point is that rather than fight it and run to exhaustion, use those little rest periods to help you increase the TOTAL distance, and you'll get fitter.

Other than this, keep it up, and if you have any other questions, let me know!

Ross