Question
Posted by: Lecritia | 2006/10/25

Is this Normal???

Having constant thoughts?? From the moment I wake up I keep having thoughts....about anything, what happened at work when I get home, recalling what happenend years ago (nothing bad), thinking what is going to happen still.

I wish I could just not have thoughts for at least 10 minutes.

Is this normal, or who can I see that can help me???

To be almost always thinking is healthy and normal --- that's what brains do. Meditation can help one restfully focus some such thinking. What you may be doing and feeling uncomfortable about, is obsessing a bit, and probably being stressed and anxious, which is what we often do when a bit stressed. Not always pleasant, likely to be relieved when the stress is past. CBT Counselling can help you to think more usefully and fruitfully.

4
Posted by: Joie | 2006/10/25

I think you might have a bit of anxiety, because I experience this myself, I usually write things down so I can clear up my mind. Like if I have things to, I write them down that way I don't worry about forgetting and i can relax.

Reply to Joie
Posted by: kat | 2006/10/25

ok i agree with what Rick said but if it still bugs you then i will have to point out that it sounds a bit obsesive and maybe that could be an underlying thing. also i habe to ask is it at all possible that you are filling your head with these things to avoid having to think of the one or few things that are realy troubeling you in avoidance of dealing with the real issues you might have with sertain things.

Reply to kat
Posted by: Lecritia | 2006/10/25

Thanks Rick, that's what I keep doing - for example, I am seeing my wedding coordinator at 3 this afternoon, and I keep on thinking and thinking about it, so this is healthy cause it's not thinking about nothing?

I do yoga twice a week, when I am doing it, I am really being thoughtless, but as soon as I am up and doing my stuff, I again have thoughts.

I know its normal, but the constant - every minute - of thinking and thoughts is driving me up the wall!!!!

Reply to Lecritia
Posted by: Rick | 2006/10/25

Having thoughts, strangely enough, is a basic requirement for a brain that is functioning. You have 5 senses (some people claim to have 6 but 5 is generally enough to get around) and they are constantly functioning and providing input to your brain for processing. Cognitive functioning, the deliberate processing of thoughts, is somewhat more structured: you could perhaps apply your mind deliberately to a problem or to an idea that needs expanding. For example, you could plan your day, your holiday, consider what to wear the next day and, by the sounds of things, this is what you are doing. "Thinking" about nothing is not healthy. Thinking random, disconnected thoughts perhaps equally so.

If you wish to relax, maybe you should try yoga, wherein the exercises allow one to drift into a meditative state. Far from being thoughtless, meditation is a relaxing technique that refreshes and rejuvenates.

Reply to Rick