Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/14

Is this normal?

Hi , Im a 22 year old girl who has a very embarrssing problem. I tend to sweat quite heavily in my pubic area and find that this sometimes leads to small/hard sores forming on the skin (pubic area). Sometime these sores become -|- and other times they behave much like a bad pimple and bleed a little.
I have been to a gynacologist about the problem and he said he honestly did not know what it was or what could be causing it. He conducted a series of blood tests on me and ruled out the possibility of it being ANY STD.The gynae just advised that I wear cotton pants , be very hygenic and use talcum powder if necessary. Ive tried all those things and they don't work.

I have had this problem since puberty(age 14) and although these sores come and go, they are really very embarrassing for me and stop me from being intimate.I have never had pimples any where else and have a VERY sensitive skin on my face.

Could this be a hormonal problem ? More importantly I wanna know if it would be appropraite for me to go and see a dermatologist about this problem? Do dermatologist deal with skin problems affecting the genetial areas?

Wha'ts your advice? If you think I should see a dermatologist about this, would any old one do , or are there ones who specifically specialize in this sort of thing? if so, what are they called?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

I think seeing a dermatologist is an excellent idea. It does not sound like a common gynae problem

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: CS | 2004/10/15

I honestly do not know either, but have you maybe tried spraying a sensitive product like Dove deodorant on the hairy area to control the sweating? Welleda also makes a talcum powder - it is called Weeping wound powder and I used on it my baby's umbilical cord stump to dry it out - advice given by the peaditrician - so it is totally save.
This can maybe help with the sores to dry out and keep the area relatively dry.

Hope this helps a bit.

Reply to CS

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.