Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/14

Is this normal?

Hi , Im a 22 year old girl who has a very embarrssing problem. I tend to sweat quite heavily in my pubic area and find that this sometimes leads to small/hard sores forming on the skin (pubic area). Sometime these sores become -|- and other times they behave much like a bad pimple and bleed a little.
I have been to a gynacologist about the problem and he said he honestly did not know what it was or what could be causing it. He conducted a series of blood tests on me and ruled out the possibility of it being ANY STD.The gynae just advised that I wear cotton pants , be very hygenic and use talcum powder if necessary. Ive tried all those things and they don't work.

I have had this problem since puberty(age 14) and although these sores come and go, they are really very embarrassing for me and stop me from being intimate.I have never had pimples any where else and have a VERY sensitive skin on my face.

Could this be a hormonal problem ? More importantly I wanna know if it would be appropraite for me to go and see a dermatologist about this problem? Do dermatologist deal with skin problems affecting the genetial areas?

Wha'ts your advice? If you think I should see a dermatologist about this, would any old one do , or are there ones who specifically specialize in this sort of thing? if so, what are they called?
Thanks,
carol

I think seeing a dermatologist is an excellent idea. It does not sound like a common gynae problem

1
Posted by: CS | 2004/10/15

I honestly do not know either, but have you maybe tried spraying a sensitive product like Dove deodorant on the hairy area to control the sweating? Welleda also makes a talcum powder - it is called Weeping wound powder and I used on it my baby's umbilical cord stump to dry it out - advice given by the peaditrician - so it is totally save.
This can maybe help with the sores to dry out and keep the area relatively dry.

Hope this helps a bit.

Reply to CS