Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2003/01/16

Is this Irritable Bowel Sydrome?

For the past week and a half now, i have been experiencing a severe dose of diarrhea. I find myself going to relieve myself every 10-15 minutes. My stool has been very weak, and often just after relieving myself, i feel like evacuation was not complete and that there is more stool to come!
This has only started since last Thursday. Please advise as to the possible condition and a remedy, if any.

Dear Concerned
I think that you have lost your normal peristalsis as a result of an infection that caused the diarrhoea. If you have a very badly upset tummy (due to an infection or eating food that was off) which lasts for more than 2 days, then you need to take medications such as Imodium and/or antibiotics to stop the diarrhoea and 'calm' the intestines down and/or stop the infection. If you don't take something then you can easily develop an Irritated Bowel which is, however, not irritable bowel syndrome which is a chronic condition related to lack of dietary fibre, stress and possibly an autoimmune reaction. Visit your doctor and ask for some medication to stop the diarrhoea and you should be back to normal soon. Remember to drink plenty of water to replace fluid lost via the diarrhoea.
Hope you feel better soon.