Question
Posted by: Roz | 2006/10/26

Is this excema?

Skin Doc, I seriously need your help here! Im 25 and have developed a really strange skin problem on my one hand. (In my house I dont wash dishes, clothes or work with chemicals and do not wear jewelery - havnt for the past year because of this problem). Little blisters appear, soon become infected, it itches like hell, I scratch in my sleep eventually the skin is raw and the the skin cracks like bad heels and doesnt stop weeping and then the problem area grows. Im not willing to accept thats its all because of stress. I have tried cutting out food groups to see if this might help and I cant pin point the problem. Ive tried supplement and herbal remedies and it is not helping. My doc has given me quartosone cream which just makes it worse - the only thing that does kind of work is taking quartosone tabs - but its short term and I put on a lot of weight in the process. Im so irritated I want to chop my hand off! Is this actually excema? Ive had tests for fungi and apparently these came up 100% okay. No one in my family has this skin problem so it isnt genetic. Im at my wits end. Please help me before the cleaver gets involved and my hand gets tossed over to the medical lab.

Expert ImageArchive

I think you have contact eczema of the hands. It is not stress and it is not food. Just forget about that. Prednisone tablets work indicating that a diagnosis of eczema is most likely correct. The substance causing the allergy can be identified by patch tests=allergy tests. This is a skin test and not a blood test. These tests are done by most dermatologists. I suggest that is the first step.

1
Posted by: Rocco | 2006/10/26

I would also like an answer on the question? For a relieve I use "blomswael en vasilene" and mix the two. I put it on like hand creme and wear surgigal gloves during the night. But it does'nt cure my hands. Sometimes there are just one of the infected ereas on my hand, and the next day I cant use my hands because of all the blisters that burst. I work on cars and it is frusrtating cause I cant work without gloves. I would like to know if there is a cure out there somewhere.

Reply to Rocco