Question
Posted by: Elle | 2007/04/10

Is this enough?

Good day doc,

I have recently read the 'ultimate diet solution' written by the johannesburg dietician, Anne Till. in the book she prescribes a sample weight loss diet which basically consists out of 2 diary portions, cereal in the morning (2 carbs), a mid-morning fruit, a lunch consisting out of 2 proteien portions (all low fat), 2 fat portions, 1 low gi carb portion and 2-3 vegetables. A mid-afternoon snack of one fruit and dinner consisting of 2 proteien, 2 fat and 2-3 vegetable portions. I love how the book is focused on health and losing weight the healthy way. My question is this, I'm 1.61m tall and weigh 107kg, female and 28 years old. I do 45 minutes of elliptical cardio training every morning and am insulin resistant with PCOS. Is this diet enough for me or is there something that needs to be adapted to me?

Thank you very much for your continued advocation for healthy living.

Kind regards

Dear Elle
Thank you so much for your kind words. Seeing that your present BMI = 41,3 it would be a good idea to lose weight. The diet prescribed by Anne is fine for patients who do not suffer from insulin resistance and PCOS. You can certainly use the basic diet plan, but you need to ensure that the carbs you eat are low-GI (as far as possible). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Combine the low-GI carbs and fruit with the other principles of the Ultimate diet solution and keep up the good work with the exercise every day. This should produce the desired weight loss. If you find that you cannot adapt this diet to be low-GI, then it may be a good idea to consult a a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can work out a specific diet prescription for you.

1
Posted by: Anne Till | 2007/06/08

AS the author of the Ultimate DIet SOlution, I must comment on this posting, the infomration in the book is specifically and highly geared to managing insulin resistance and associated abnormalities such as PCOS all details are listed in chapter 4 and 5 of the book. With regard to Elle's question the meal plans in the book are not individualsied and she may benefit from an individualised plan. All recommendations are based on use of wholegrains, Low GI Carbs, and low GL in addition to using USFA and lean protein foods and increasing fruit and veg intake as per advoated guidelines of teh American Heart Association and the American Colledge of Endocrinology and other international reseachers for he managment of insulin resistane syndrome. THe book is well referecned with scientific publications - all details in teh back of the book. I would be happy to send a copy to the "Diet Doc" if she would like a copy. Incidently I am a registered dietician with eth HPCSA and my practice has a special interest in the managemt of Insulin reistance and assoaited abnormalities suh as PCOS, CHD, Diabetes, Obeisty and so on.

Many thanks

Anne Till, RD (SA)

Reply to Anne Till