Question
Posted by: n | 2006/04/08

Is this diet healthy ?

I have joined a diet programme with a well known group as I am desperate to lose weight. I am 1.67 and weigh 80kg. My goal is 60kg. The diet they have worked out for me is as follows:
Breakfast: 1-2 eggs & 100g vegetables
Lunch: 110g Protein & 115g vegetables
Supper: 120g Protein & 125g vegetables
I am allowed two fruit a day which must be included in my meal. The problem is I am permanently hungry. Is this just an adjustment period and is this a diet that can produce results ?

Dear N
I am personally opposed to diets that exclude whole food groups - in this case all grains and cereals, all milk and dairy products, all fats and oils, as such diets can cause cravings such as the ones you experience, nutrient deficiencies and also not always lead to weight loss. Your present BMI = 28,7, which is in the overweight range, so it would be a good idea to lose weight to get down to 60 kg as this would give you an ideal BMI of 21,5. You can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), to lose that weight without constantly being hungry and developing deficiencies.

1
Posted by: Been-there, done-that... | 2006/04/13

I recognize the diet as the SureSlim diet as I have been on the diet last year and lost a whopping 20 kg's in six months! BUT as you would agree, you will not be able to eat the above diet for the rest of your life and as soon as I added carb's back into my meals I started gaining the weight back! I have nearly gained back half the weight in less than 3 months. Now I am with Weigh-Less and eating healthy! I believe that the time on SureSlim has had a negative effect on my metabolism especially since you are only allowed to eat every 5 hours. I am now trying very hard to correct it by eating MORE, and ALL food groups, with regular snacking. To answer your question - the hunger pangs will not improve - you merely get used to it. I remember litterally counting the seconds to the end of the 5-hour gaps between meals! Sure you will get results if you follow the diet strictly - but it will not last and it surely is not healthy!

Reply to Been-there, done-that...